If you’re facing the prospect of an IRS audit in Denver, it’s natural to feel a bit nervous. However, with the right preparation and the support of a reliable Denver IRS tax attorney, you can navigate the process more confidently.
Here are a few basic tips to help you prepare for your audit:
- Gather and organize all relevant financial and tax records that are needed for the audit. This includes income statements, expense receipts, bank statements, and any other documentation supporting your tax return.
- Consult with your Denver IRS tax attorney to understand the specific issues or items under audit. Knowing the focus of the audit will help you a great deal to focus on gathering the most relevant documentation.
- The IRS has the authority to expand the scope of the audit if they discover issues beyond the original focus. However, a skilled tax attorney can help you protect against any unnecessary expansion.
- Always provide truthful and accurate information during the audit. Dishonesty or providing false information can lead to severe consequences, including penalties and criminal charges.
- Take the time to review your tax return thoroughly before the audit. Familiarize yourself with the information you reported, as the IRS may ask questions about specific items on your return.
- Respond to the IRS audit notice promptly. If you need additional time to prepare, communicate with the IRS and request an extension.
- Enlist the services of a Denver tax lawyer who has extensive experience in handling IRS audits. They can guide you through the entire process, protect your rights, and ensure that you present your case effectively.